December is here, which means treacherous winter weather could arrive at any time. If you routinely find yourself sliding off the road or getting stuck in the snow, here are a few steps you can take on preparing your car for winter.
- Switch tires. Switch out your summer or all-weather tires for snow tires. These tires are specifically designed to cut through the snow to give you more traction on the road. If you do this, make sure you switch out all four of your tires.
- Check the lights. Make sure all your interior and exterior lights are working properly. This will not only help you see better as the days get shorter, but it will help other drivers see you, too. Replace any burnt out bulbs.
- Emergency kit. Keep a stash of winter weather necessities in your car. Things like a blanket, an old cell phone, high energy snacks, an empty cup (to melt snow for drinking), flares, etc.
- De-icer. If you’ve ever tried to open your car door in the winter only to find it frozen shut, de-icer will save the day. However, don’t keep this in your car, put it in your purse, in your desk at work, and at home.
- Tune up. Bring your car in for a winter tune up and we’ll make sure all your car is winter-ready.
Schedule a service appointment with us today at Lancaster Nissan for a winter checkup.